Rolling Loud, also known as “Rap Coachella”, returns to Miami this May and if you’re looking to buy tickets, well…you better get in line. GA and VIP tickets are completely sold out due to the enormously positive reception from hip-hop fans the last several years, but there is currently a waiting list on the festival’s website.
The Migos, Travis Scott, and Kid Cudi will be headlining the weekend with support from Lil Wayne, Rae Sremmurd, Kodak Black, and the now Grammy award-winning, Cardi B. While casual rap fans flood the main stages, here are a few lesser-known artists that you don’t want to miss.
1) GoldLink- From the often unrecognized Washington DC hip-hop scene, GoldLink is both an artist and a performer. His alternative hip-hop sound has range. One moment he can have you dancing. Another moment, he can have you lost in introspection. He’s best known for his 3X Platinum 2016 hit, “Crew”, but has a deep catalogue of music to move your soul.
2) J.I.D.- Much of the talent at J Cole’s Dreamville Records has gone unnoticed and unrecognized for far too long and J.I.D. seems destined to change that in the next couple years. Sonically, the comparisons to Kendrick Lamar and J Cole himself are unavoidable. J.I.D. can switch up his flow, switch up his voice, and change the mood of a song in an instant. At times, he’s reminiscent of Anderson.Paak and no matter what song he’s on, his energy is turned up to 11. With the release of his album, DiCaprio 2, in the Fall, fans are beginning to take notice of his talent. It won’t be long before J.I.D. is back to headline Rolling Loud himself.
3) Beast Coast (Joey Bada$$ and Flatbush Zombies)- Joey Bada$$ is a Brooklyn born rapper, producer, and actor with a lyrical skill set that many other rappers can’t imitate. His content has meaning and aims to address issues in society rather than brag about riches and fame. Fellow Brooklyn natives, the Flatbush Zombies, compliment Joey’s style and add a whole new layer of sound to his raps. If you like smooth, lyrical hip-hop, this set will satisfy you.
4) Denzel Curry- The experimental hip-hop and trap artist from Carol City, Florida, Denzel Curry is a member of the XXL’s 2016 Freshmen Class. Unlike other members of his class, Curry has gone in a different direction with his music since gaining mainstream notoriety. His talent as musician extends well outside hip-hop as he has proven capable of performing impressive covers of rock songs, such as Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls on Parade”.
5) SAINt JHN- It’s not fair to call SAINt JHN a rapper as his style is far more complex than that. Prior to becoming a performing artist, Saint JHN worked as a songwriter, penning hits for Jidenna, Usher, Kiesza and others. In addition to his musical talents, the Brooklyn-based artist is also highly in tune with the fashion world, selling some of the most eye-catching artist merchandise you can buy.
There’s still time to track down tickets for what is sure to be an unforgettable weekend for hip-hop. You can join the Rolling Loud waiting list here: http://www.rollingloud.com/waitlist